Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Chinese Hokkien Bak Chang



These are Chinese Hokkien Bak Chang or dumplings wrapped with bamboo leaves just out from Gary's Garden kitchen. Thanks to my blogger friend http://preciousmoments2.blogspot.com who leads my wife over to interesting blogs sharing recipes of various chinese cookings. This is the first attempt by my wife in making Bak Chang. I am very proud and satisfied with her achievement.

The ancient story for this Bak Chang was related to a well-loved patriot in China who committed suicide by jumping into a river. The Chinese wish to offer this patriot with food but worried that the food offered my be eaten by fish, so, they taught of a way by wrapping the glutinous rice with bamboo leaves and threw into river as offering for this patriot. The Chinese will celebrate the Bak Chang Festival in a day (I don't know the date) of Lunar calender, but this tradition is slowly forgotten among Chinese.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best source for hard to find and specialty gardening products!

Anonymous said...

Wah!Really looks delicious! Just couldn't believe it's your wife's first attempt. It really gets my salivary glands working.Keep on scouting and trying new recipes from your web network. I would love to see more of it posted.

Irene

Anonymous said...

WHERE IS MING MING!!??

Anonymous said...

This is yummy Gary. The post below about the bird is poignant, and I agree with you that we should preserve our wildlife and those almost domisticated animals around our garden. By just looking at the birds at the twigs or slim branches is fascinating and a liberating experience.