Thursday, January 08, 2009

Papa & Mama


Very often, we take for granted the love of our papa & mama to us. We would appreciate their love more when we become parents ourselves, or when they are no more around us. Well, human being human, it is always the case we can't understand our parents and as parents, we don't understand our own offsprings. What to do, life is like that. Anyway, I wish to share two articles of a true friend of my about papa and mama. They worth your two cents to read and appreciate.


PAPA

To-day is Father's Day. So the ritual begins. Who's going to take Dad to breakfast, lunch and dinner? Many weeks ago after Mother's Day, I met a friend and his family together with his parents at a restaurant. He told me it was in lieu of Mother's Day for his two other siblings had "booked" his mother for dinners for the last two days. Lucky parents. I suppose he will have the same arrangement for Father's Day.


Since this is my first post for Father's Day I have to relate my little story, just like what I did for Mother's Day. From next year onwards, I just need to write "Happy Mother's Day" and "Happy Father's Day". Why don't we follow the South Koreans who celebrate "Parents' Day" on May 8. Save time, save petrol, save money! After all you don't take just one of your parents to celebrate, do you?


Apparently the famous psychologist Sigmond Freud said, "I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection." Maybe I can copy him to say, "I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a mother's love."

Whether or not we love our parents right now, it does not change the fact that our fathers protected us and our mothers loved us. Of course, there is always exception to the rule. And how do we express our grattitude? Strangely, I wonder whether you notice? The Westerners compared with Asians, are not so family oriented; but they show their love for the family in a much more expressive manner with hugs and kisses. On the other hand, Asians who have stronger traditional family values do not display their affection physically. Well, I suppose it is our ingrained social behaviour to be more restrained.


For those with happy families, traditional celebrations are occasions to be cherished. These are the opportune time to meet up with other relatives as well. Father's Day is a bit special. Siblings have a good excuse to get together. Now the problems come if siblings are not that friendly to one another. Sound familiar?? To add to the "problem", what if paternal (or maternal) relationship is not that rosy? Mother's Day or Father's Day is really a heart-breaking day to be reminded that you can't express your love and gratitude to your parents.

______________
MAMA

To-day is Mother's Day, so says the media. I suppose it all started in the west. But no; after consulting the Mother of all Mothers of Information.....The Wikipedia! Not to waste your time here, you can click here.

In China, in recent years some people began to advocate Mother's Day for memory of Meng Mu, the mother of
Mèng Zǐ. It's still not an official festival except in very few cities.

Closer to home, Malaysia. Do you know who are the happiest people to-day? No you are wrong, not the mothers. I cannot be a mother because I am a father; but I don't think the average mother will be the happiest to-day. The first reason is she will avoid scolding or criticizing her children. But the saddest thing is this paradox, the mother feels great disappointment when the children have "forgotten" her, especially to-day. But if she has the wisdom to reflect; it is no difference if her children can remember her on only one day of the year, but "forgotten" her the rest of the year. Oh yes, who are the happiest? Of course, the business people, especially those in the food and cake business.

Who is the person in the picture? My mother. She is 84. I can remember her age this year because she has come full cycle 7 times in the Chinese zodiac! During our times, there was no such thing as Mother's Day or Father's Day. Everyday was "The Same Thing Day" because everyday was just another day.

The greatest tragedy for a mother is when she is old and useless, the children/grandchildren/husband, chuck her away in the Old Folks home to ...just use your imagination. My second sister and I took back my mother from an old folks home when she suffered this horrible fate. Now she is safely with me although "old and useless". She is now not as you see her in the above picture.

Everyday is Mother's Day to me. What about you?

Happy Mother's Day???



















Posted by Picasa

No comments: